If you notice that your roof has cracked, torn, bald or missing shingles, don’t automatically assume that you’re going to need a full roof replacement. If your roof is less than 15-20 years old and was installed properly to begin with, you can probably just make some fairly basic repairs.
With that said, if you neglect these simple repairs like the one needed in the image below, you’re setting yourself up for a much larger problem in the near future.
Indianapolis Roof Repair: What to Look for
Here are a few things to look for on your roof. Only a handful of these can be seen from the ground or from inside your home, so never hesitate to contact us for a free inspection.
1. Inside your attic, look for places where the roof deck is sagging
2. Look for signs of water damage or leaking inside your attic
3. Dark spots and trails on your ceiling
4. Outside light showing through the roof
5. Visually inspect your roof for damaged or missing shingles, including the ridge vent
6. Scan the roof for loose material or wear around chimneys, vents, pipes or other penetrations
7. Watch out for an excessive amount of shingle granules (they look like large grains of sand) in the gutters – this is a sign of advanced wear
8. Check for signs of moisture, rot or mold. Note that wet spots may not be directly under your faulty shingle; water can travel down to its lowest spot before it drips. Mold, fungi and bacteria can grow quickly, within 24 to 48 hours of a water-related problem
9. Examine the drainage and make sure gutters and downspouts are securely attached. Also ensure all drains are open and allow water to exit, and all gutters and downspouts are free of debris
10. Check that all bath, kitchen and dryer vents go entirely outside of your home, not just into the attic space
Keep in mind that wind damage and hail damage are two different scenarios. Wind can definitely cause problems to your roof resulting in water leaks, which hail does too. But hail damage compromises the integrity of the entire roof, which will most likely be covered by your insurance for replacement. Whereas wind damage can often be resolved with a roof repair.
The National Roofing Contractors Association recommends that you have your roof inspected at least twice per year. For one, most damage cannot be seen from the ground and it’s best to have a professional climb up on your roof. Secondly, finding damage and preventing it with some proper maintenance will save you money in the long run and squeeze more life out of your roof. Even if your roof looks perfect – inspections with ReNew Services Inc. are free and having that piece of mind is priceless.
Don’t hesitate to give us a call for a routine inspection to see if you’re in need of roof repair, or if you’ve already identified the probability for damage. In the case of active leaks, we are available 24/7 as well for emergency repairs.